“Happiness is a car, the open road, and a best friend”
Whosoever wrote these words probably didn’t realize how close to truth he was. Everyone deserves a friend who just calls up and says, “Get ready! We’re going on a road trip.” And if you are the sort of friend who would say this, well, thank you for being you, Sir!
Our country has some of the most beautiful highways. From the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, the picturesque surroundings of which are great at calming the jittery nerves to the Gangtok-Lake Tsomgo stretch in the north-east which is on the bucket list of every traveler in India.
We’ll talk more about highways in another blog post, because today, we’re going to talk about those four-wheeled drives that are going to make these road trips possible. Here are the five cars that are our best bets for a road trip in India:
- Mahindra Thar- This Off-Roader SUV by Mahindra is the perfect choice if you’re planning your trip to offbeat destinations like the Himalayan Region. This stalwart of a vehicle is a reprise of the early days of open Jeeping that can combat sheer descent and ascent of rock in Lahaul-Spiti district in Himachal Pradesh, Zanskar region in Jammu & Kashmir, parts of Garhwal region, and parts of Arunachal Pradesh. Countless adventure travellers swore by this Herculean beast. With a virile body, advanced diesel engine, and 4×4 wheel drive, the Mahindra Thar is the best you could ask for.
- Mahindra Scorpio- Whether you’re driving into the wild or rugged terrains, the Mahindra Scorpio is the favorite of every traveller as it can adjust to any altitude, climate, and topography. This one just doesn’t disappoint at all. It is rightly called a playboy as well as a thunder down the road that will give you the best memories on a road trip in India. A traveller driving the Mahindra Scorpio would not only love to drive it on the road from Mumbai to Pune via Khandala and Lonavala but would love to blaze through the Kashmir valley as well.
- Mahindra Bolero- Another Mahindra on the list! The Mahindra Bolero isn’t just any SUV that you know but it’s a beast on road that bestows a privilege upon a countryside drive. It has masculine exteriors and comfortable interiors including an advanced digital display simply woo the mind of the travellers. Go from Banglore to Coorg or take the Guwahati- Tawang route and enjoy!
- Tata Safari Storme- A sought after monster that is to be revered, feared, and eventually tamed. The Tata Safari Storme is considered as a true explorer that can snake through the mountains as well as cut across jungles. We suggest the following road trips with this beast- Delhi to Leh via Manali, Chandigarh to Dalhousie, Guwahati to Tawang, Bangalore to Ooty, Ahmedabad to Kutch.
- Hummer- You need to be a hunk yourself to drive this monstrous animal. It is the perfect and ultimate pick for a challenging road trip in regions like Ladakh, Zanskar, Nubra, Arunachal Pradesh, and the Thar Desert. This midsize truck was introduced as an SUV in 2006. It has a masculine exterior and interior that comes in one single model with 3 engines (separately) and 1 transmission. We suggest the following road trips- Delhi to Hunder via Manali, Leh and Diskit, Delhi to Gulmarg via Chandigarh and Srinagar, Chandigarh to Hunder via Srinagar, Kargil and Diskit, Siliguri to Lake Tsomgo and Nathu-La Pass via Gangtok Guwahati to Tawang.
A car is as good as the tyre, especially when you’re taking it for a drive in the extreme weathers situations. Make sure you’re using good quality tyres and are regularly maintaining them. We recommend getting your SUV fitted with Michelin Tyres. Check out their range here.